Monday, May 10, 2010

We ♥ Scotland and Scottish women

Emma brought me her diary from our trip to Scotland last year to have a read and reminisce and Sarah read it to me in the car on the way to school this morning.  Listening to her musings from the holiday made Sa and I long to go back again, but I know it won’t be this year.  My exceptional Great Aunt who lives in a ‘wee’ fishing village called Helmsdale in the North of Scotland turned 98 last week.  She is a remarkable woman in so many ways and we love and miss her so much.  I am so fortunate that Emma and Sarah have not only met her, but have been to see her three times in the last 5 years.  Still living on her own, last year, as with the two previous times we stayed with her, she welcomed us with home made lentil soup, a Victorian sponge cake and a roast with tatties (potatoes) - I hope to be able to do the same for my family at that age!
I have many remarkable women in my life, not least of all my wonderful mother.  Apart from the fact that, as my children say, she is coolest gran in town, I could not do the job I do without her love and support.  Fortunately for me she comes from good Scottish stock and I hope to have her around for many, many years.  

 Aunty Tyne aged 97




 A view of Helmsdale

No comments:

Post a Comment